|This page was last modified on Friday, September 02, 2005 www.yaac-bsa.org|
Camp Conewago - Serving Scout Campers Since 1919
In 1919, the officers of Conewago Council, which then oversaw Scouting in Hanover, Littlestown, New Oxford, Locust Grove, Abbottstown, and East Berlin, saw the need for a Boy Scout camp in their area. Along with the assistance of other civic-minded citizens, the council solicited funds in the area for a camp. On September 13, 1919, they purchased approximately 25 acres of land in Hamilton Township, Adams County, from George T. Gitt.
The camp is located at the "Forks" where the Little Conewago enters into the Big Conewago stream. It was formerly at the point of a traders cabin where the collection of furs and trading was done with early settlers and the Conewago Indian Tribes in the area.
Today, Camp Conewago is still blessed with many of the original buildings constructed over the years. The Lodge was built in 1920 and has a spacious porch on the front and one side. Inside the building is a large stone fireplace, kitchen and sleeping area equipped with bunk beds.
Other sleeping quarters known as Rothrocks were built after the first few years of the camp's operation. The name "Rothrocks" derived from the Chairman of the Department of Forest and Waters, whose name was Rothrock. These buildings were given individual Native American names such as Seneca, Mohawk, Shawnee, Sioux, Delaware and Susquehannock.
The Administration Building was dedicated on August 1, 1937 in memory of H. Merle Stokes, Camping Chairman.
Camp Conewago, located just off of Dicks Dam Road in New Oxford, PA, is available for rental year-round. The camp is a little more than 10 miles from the Gettysburg area and is an easy drive to the battlefield for groups touring in the area. For more information and current rates. (outside York).
Special thanks to Camp Conewago 75th Anniversary booklet in preparing this information.
Additional Information on Camp Conewago
Supported by donations from Shamiro and WeddenOp